Surcie

A Little Treat, Just Because

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The World According to Reality TV

In today's "USA Today," there is a story about kids raised in the 80's who can't function well in college or the workforce. Of course, attentive moms are to blame. They told their kids, "Good job!" (even when the "job" sucked) and screwed their kids up, royally. Apparently, all that nurturing served to create young adults who can't cope with the fact that their bosses don't reward bad or just so-so job performance. WHATever. I don't have a child who is a young adult, and I myself am not in that demographic, so what do I know? But I've SEEN reality TV, and it gives a wholly different picture of young American adults. The impression is that young women in bikini tops are willing to eat poop mixed with intestines and roach parts as millions watch for the CHANCE to win a big check. Seven Strangers Picked to Live Wherever will have drunken, unprotected sex without concern for AIDS, much less their dignity. And ivy-league lawyers will publicly demean themselves and kiss a zillionaire's ass in the HOPE of being named his Little Helper. In our country, we call this entertainment. (God, it frightens me to think these shows are airing in foreign countries.) I seriously doubt we can blame nurturing mommies for all THIS. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't.

1 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Hula Doula said...

I think it's a non reality world we live in. Frankly we are condemned either way we go. You just have to go with what's right for you and your family.
PS. I love this comment area. I can now comment on Blogger!! WOO HOO! I am no longer Anonymous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home