Surcie

A Little Treat, Just Because

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Just Sing!

Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud, sing out strong
Sing of good things, not bad
Sing of happy, not sad
Sing, sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not good enough
For anyone else to hear
Just sing, sing a song

Now that I watch Sesame Street every once in a while, I've been reintroduced to this classic tune by Joe Raposo. Recently, I've seen Deniece Graves and Nathan Lane perform it with penguins and pigs, respectively. I finally appreciate the beauty of its simple message which, to me, is this: Just for a moment, let go of the need for perfection and approval. Stop holding back so darn much (if only for right now), and choose to dwell on positive stuff because life is a lot more fun that way! This message hits a nerve now that I'm a sometimes-neurotic, overly self-consious adult. It calls us to just write, just paint, just dance, just do whatever--without all the excess baggage that keeps us from enjoying the moment.

At 19 months, Puddin' Pop is all about living in the moment. On Friday, we went to the local community center to check out Tot Time in the gymnasium. It was, well, nuts. I don't know how many children were there, but to me, it felt like a hundred. Puddin' was absolutely thrilled to be in the midst of all that kiddie chaos. While other tots climbed the tumbling blocks and crawled through nylon tubes, he did a kind of ode to Flashdance/homage to Riverdance thing around the entire perimeter of the basketball court TWICE, smiling and laughing all the while. His signature move is a combination of running and dancing as he kicks his feet in front of him, and his arms barely leave his sides. But unlike Jennifer Beals or Michael Flatley, my boy doesn't break a sweat. (And I seriously doubt either of them could keep up with him.) I was hot on his heels the entire time (struggling to keep up), guarding against the flying basketballs that could've come barrelling towards his Perfectly Round Noggin and ready to throw my body in front of tricycles run amok. I am his bodyguard, the defender of his life, and he doesn't even know he needs protecting. He doesn't have a smidge of self-consciousness. The kid doesn't hold back. I have so much to learn from him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home